We are a congregation centered in weekly worship, receiving God’s word and Sacraments. All ministries are built from our weekly worship life as a congregation. From July 2017 through June 2018 we will be instructing the congregation on the importance of weekly worship to receive the means of God’s Grace. During the months of October and November of 2017 all congregational ministries will be focused on our worship. During this time is an opportunity for each member of St. Peter’s to invite unchurched friends or family to attend our 9:45 a.m. service of the Word, and to enjoy a time of hospitality following.
Sunday Services Change
- The 8:30 a.m. service time will change to 8:15 a.m.
- The 11:00 a.m. service time will change to 9:45 a.m.
- There will be no change to the 6:00 p.m. Wednesday service.
Sunday 8:15 a.m.—Beginning August 6, 2017
- No changes in format. This service will remain hymnal and organ driven.
Sunday 9:45 a.m.—Beginning August 6, 2017
- Service will begin at 9:45 a.m. and end promptly at 10:30 a.m.
- This will be only the Service of the Word, and will not include Holy Communion
- There will be a children’s time
- Music will be lead by the Worship Ensemble
- At 10:30 a.m., during the time of greeting, our guests and visitors, including their children, will be invited to join the preaching pastor for a time of hospitality in the Bell Tower area.
- At 10:30 a.m. members and those who have been thoroughly instructed in Holy Communion will—at this time—celebrate Holy Communion
- The service of Holy Communion will be spoken, containing no music or the use of the video screens.
- Raise $100,000 over a three-year period to financially support outreach into Big Rapids
- The funds raised will go toward the following:
- Weekly hospitality time following the 9:45 a.m. service
- Contract with Biggby Coffee or another business
- Contract with local companies for doughnuts and other pastries.
- Purchase coffee cups with our logo
- Construct a welcome center in the Bell Tower area for guests and visitors
- Purchase at least two high-top round tables for hospitality time
- Radio and Television
- Print, banners and billboards
- Online and social media platforms
- Develop a multi-platform app for smartphones
- Yearly thank you dinner for Police, Fire Fighters, First Responders, and city workers.
- Community service projects
- Provide free coffee and doughnuts at different locations on Saturdays in our community
- Assist servant teams with the ability to purchase items needed
- “A Day with Jesus” Workshops
- Free Saturday morning workshops offered to community members from 9:00 a.m. to noon
- Provide breakfast and snacks for attendees
- Give participants a free Bible as a gift
- Advertisement for workshops
- Neighborhood canvasing with door hangers
Biblical Instruction and Education
- Weekday Bible Studies—Monday and Tuesday evenings, and Wednesday morning
- Advertise classes to the community
- Monday evenings or as scheduled
- High School Youth
- Sunday evening activity and study
- K-8th Grade
- Jr. Confirmation and First Communion classes
- Promote day school as the place where all member families should enroll their children for Biblical education
- For families who choose not to enroll their children in our school, we will instruct then to teach their children the faith through the use of the Bible and Luther’s Small Catechism
- Promote our day school to all guests and visitors who have children or grandchildren
- Provide up to $10,000 (out of the $100,000 raised) for scholarships to our enroll in our day school
- Promote all day preschool and childcare to the community
- Add a fulltime Director of Youth and Family Ministry
- Request call list from the Michigan District in the summer of 2017
- Begin interview process in the Fall of 2017
- January/February 2018 extend a Call
- The position begins no earlier than July 1, 2018